Re: %, comments, EOS, and parenthesis

From: Ben Barrowes
Subject: Re: %, comments, EOS, and parenthesis
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:53:26 -0600

I use the matlab.el with octave programs. Pretty much the only stylistic annoyance is that matlab.el doesn't recognize # as a comment character.

Anyway, % inside strings (single quote) are not interpreted as comments and are properly recognized as strings instead of a comment char.

% inside a double quoted string (octave only, no such support in ml) is interpreted as a comment char in matlab mode.

Is this double quoted case your concern?

If so, this is another difference in the string handling between octave and ml that is potentially confusing.

Colin Ingram wrote:

Hey all,

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but I've been unable to find the solution in the archives.

Is it possible to tell emacs not to recognize '%' as comments if they are within parenthesis? This cause all kinds of formating problems when using functions like printf() where you will include '%' since emacs comments out the end of the parenthesis and formates as if you had not closed a parenthesis.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give for remedying this annoyance.
Colin