Re: %, comments, EOS, and parenthesis

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: %, comments, EOS, and parenthesis
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:50:14 -0500

Colin Ingram wrote:

Is this double quoted case your concern?

If so, this is another difference in the string handling between octave and ml that is potentially confusing.

No, The case I was talking about in my email was a single quote case. I just noticed remembered the double quote situation when you spoke of it, I went back a dragged out that code example. Interested I just noticed, that at least on my system octave mode doesn't recognize single quotes as strings at all. Is this supposed to be the case.

The problem is that the octave mode in emacs supports all the octave-specific stuff (# comments, double-quoted strings), and not much of the matlab-compatible stuff (% and '), while the matlab mode of course supports only the matlab-compatible things. The matlab mode is GPL, so there's no reason someone couldn't import a lot of things from it into the octave mode. I really don't know lisp at all, or I might try looking at it.

-Quentin