Re: Kind of a lookfor function

From: Keith Goodman
Subject: Re: Kind of a lookfor function
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 08:12:50 -0700

On 5/30/05, avraham <address@hidden> wrote:
> The ultimate in confort would be to make it an octave command,
> using the mark_as_command option, but I don't know how to do it.
> In fact, I don't know if this is possible at all. I would be glad
> if someone would explain how it could be done, or why it can't.

I like your hack.

function lookfor(target)
disp(system(["Olookfor " target]));

I added the following to my ~/.octaverc:

mark_as_command lookfor

Going outside of Octave means we'll never get this function back into
Octave (as in part of an Octave release). If we can isolate the
functionality that Octave doesn't provide (getting the output of help)
and write the rest in Octave code, then maybe someone would replace
the missing part with an Octave equivalent. Then we would increase of
chances of adding lookfor to Octave

A bonus feature would be a search of the help text. Now that you've
given us a list of the function names, that shouldn't be hard. But it
might be slow.

Here are some examples of Avraham's lookfor function:

>> lookfor matlab
warn_matlab_incompatible

>> lookfor Matlab
warn_matlab_incompatible