Re: Kind of a lookfor function

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Kind of a lookfor function
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 22:29:06 -0400

On 30-May-2005, Bill Denney wrote:

| This seems like a rather difficult method of debugging (at least for
| someone who has never used gdb before).  Might it be feasible to make the
| breakpoint setting a function so that lay-users could do it?  I'm thinking
| something along the lines of:
|
| x = stuff(y);
| breakpoint
| z = blah(x);
|
| So that I could look at x (and the current space) in place.

The point of using a debugger is so that you can debug your code
without having to modify it.  So you don't normally insert breakpoints
by editing your code, you set them from the debugger command line.

What David described is a convenient way to load a .oct file without
executing it.  Then you can set breakpoints in the functions defined
in the shared library (which is something you can't do that until it
is loaded).  It really is a handy trick.

But if we move the help text from the .oct file to a help text
database of some sort, then I think we could provide another way to do
the same thing from within Octave.  Or, perhaps gdb also has a way to
do it, I'm not sure.

jwe