Re: Kind of a lookfor function

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: Kind of a lookfor function
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:42:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 May 2005, David Bateman wrote:

This then breaks a nice little debugging trick for oct-files, where you can run octave in gdb, call the help of an oct-file and then type ctrl-c to return to gdb and since the oct-file is now loaded set a breakpoint within it.. I'd not like to that functionality as it is to useful, though there is probably a way around this in that help might not unload the function but lookfor would... Ok all of this is not impossible, or even that difficult, but its a bit of a pain.

This seems like a rather difficult method of debugging (at least for
someone who has never used gdb before). Might it be feasible to make the breakpoint setting a function so that lay-users could do it? I'm thinking something along the lines of:

x = stuff(y);
breakpoint
z = blah(x);

So that I could look at x (and the current space) in place.

Bill

--
"The chaos escalated when a group of armed revolutionaries from the Honduran countryside raided JCPenney."
  -- Mall Of Central America Looted On Opening Day, The Onion