Re: Packaging Octave for Windows and OS X (was: writing integer with fwr

From: Paul Laub
Subject: Re: Packaging Octave for Windows and OS X (was: writing integer with fwrite)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:27:17 -0800

Dear everyone,

Concerning Cygwin and Octave, here is one interrim
suggestion: make the Cygwin gcc 3.2 package available
on the Octave and/or Octave Forge download sites.
Because of the exception handling problems discussed
earlier in this thread, that older compiler is
essential to those of us who build Octave for a Cygwin
environment. I found a dramatic (ca. 8-fold) speed up
on loops by rebuilding 2.1.57 with gcc 3.2, as opposed
to 3.3.

As Andy Adler said, gcc 3.2 is hard to find. Cygwin
does not offer it anymore. However, it is available
here (as part of a larger development package) --

    http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII3.0/cygwin.htm

For more info, see

I thought I'd find gcc 3.2 at the Octave forge site. If
it is there, I am not finding it. If it is not there,
we should put it there.

Paul Laub

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:55:10 +0100, Paul Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> > My understanding is that this is due to the way exception handling is
> > implemented in GCC 3.3 for Cygwin.  Does anyone know whether this is
> > likely to improve any time soon?  Long term, we need to support
> > improving the compiler.
> >
> I am still in sporadic communication with the gcc developers about this.
>
> I had an attempt at building octave with gcc-4.0.0 somewhile back.  It
> bombed out because of clashes between the new fortran library and libm,
> amongst others.  I left it at that point, thinking that this is something
> that will get straightened out in time.  I therefore did not push on to test
> build the c++ libraries.  It was something of a surprise, therefore, when I
> repeated some of the new/delete tests with g++-4.0.0 and found that the
> slowness has gone away.  Nobody has explained it yet but I suspect that I am
> getting dwarf2 as a default, rather than -sjlj.  It might, therefore be
> worth either fixing the libgfortran/libm clashes or using g77-3.4.x, instead
> of gfortran.
>
> Paul T

Job Classification Title: Slack-jawed Troglodyte
Safe Harbor Disclaimer: "Elvis has left the building."