Re: Packaging Octave for Windows and OS X (was: writing integer with fwr

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Packaging Octave for Windows and OS X (was: writing integer with fwrite)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:19:27 -0500

On Dec 14, 2004, at 3:19 PM, Joe Koski wrote:

on 12/14/04 11:56 AM, John W. Eaton at address@hidden wrote:

On 14-Dec-2004, Joe Koski <address@hidden> wrote:

| The common Linux/OS X make file approach for the "you probably want this | one" versions of octave and octave-forge on sourceforge would be my vote for
| a "Mac friendly" installer of octave.

It seems to me that it would be more effective to improve Fink and
wrap apt-get (or whatever the Fink package system uses) in a "Mac
friendly" way rather than re-inventing an installer for every package.

The standard way of installing software on the Mac is with the .dmg file which is very user friendly and seen by almost all Mac users at one time or
another. Thanks to Per Persson, there are now .dmg files for both
gnuplot-4.0 and AquaTerm. That would be the ideal solution for octave and octave-forge too, but would require a personal commitment from someone more
familiar with the Mac OS than myself. I understand that this is
fundamentally a resources problem for a limited number of Mac octave users.

A mac installer is relatively easy to write.  All it needs is a bit
of applescript to open up a terminal and start octave with the appropriate
value of DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, an icon to drop onto the dock or into the
App directory and a bit of magic to create the .dmg directly from the
script. I'm happy to assist any volunteers through this process assuming they are willing to do a bit of leg work for things such as compiling octave, octave-forge and the supporting libraries, creating the icons, and so on.

Yes it is less efficient to ship each binary with all the supporting
libraries than to use Debian's approach of having the package manager
control everything, but it requires a lot less coordination, makes it
easier to install, remove and support multiple versions and is a better
match to the expectations of the Mac user base.

- Paul