testing randp

From: Michael Creel
Subject: testing randp
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 10:34:52 +0200

Hi, that last test I sent in was using poisson_rnd - sorry I didn't read
carefully enough to see that there was a new generator. The following
function can be used to test that it's working ok. Since the Poisson mean and
variance are both lambda, evidence that the sample moment divided by lambda
is different from 1 would cast doubt upon the generator. I find that it seems
to work fine for all lambdas except very big ones, where it segfaults (1e8 is
ok, 1e9 will crash it).

function test_randp(lambda, reps)
 tic();
 y = randp(lambda, reps, 1);
 printf("lambda %f\n",lambda)
 printf("time to generate %d random draws: %f\n", reps, toc());
 printf("sample mean / true mean %f\n", mean(y)/lambda);
 printf("sample variance / true variance %f\n", var(y)/lambda);
endfunction

The test could be formalized (just using a t-test that the sample moment
equals lambda), and higher moments could be used, but I ain't got the energy.

Michael