poisson_rnd() excruciatingly slow

From: mddejong
Subject: poisson_rnd() excruciatingly slow
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 02:24:52 +0200 (CEST)

Is there a reason why poisson_rnd() is so *glacially slow* for high values
of lambda? On a 2.0 GHz Athlon system, I measured poisson_rnd(200000) to
take approximately 18 seconds, making this function next to useless for
practical use. Compare that to the 0.16 seconds for binomial_rnd(400000,
0.5) which effectively computes the same thing, which I still consider to
be a sizable amount, by the way.

If my questions have already been answered on various lists, then I
apologize for asking them, but as the search-function of said lists seems
to be down, I cannot check myself.

Kind regards,
Maarten