Re: How to keep print compatiable with MATLAB

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: How to keep print compatiable with MATLAB
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 20:31:06 -0600

Jianhong Wang wrote:
2. When using octave-forge to print plot to a png
file, it is extreamely slow. If using the code below, it is very fast.

How slow is "extremely slow"? On my computer it takes 0.6 second, that
is much slower than straight gset/replot/gset sequence but still tolerable.
"print" is an .m file; it has process command input, figure out
gnuplot command line etc --- lots of "eval" , "if" etc which are
not particularly fast octave operations.
If it takes much slower than a second on your computer, could you try to
use different terminal (postscript e.g.) and see if the problem
persist. What is your OS/hardware platform?

BTW, new gnuplot (4.0) has different png terminal with different options
and that broke print.m. I am not sure how to fix it and keep
backward compatibility...

Regards,

Dmitri.