Re: unwanted multiple plots

From: Glenn Golden
Subject: Re: unwanted multiple plots
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 11:35:33 -0700

Paul Kienzle writes:

> Isolating the octave plotting interface from gnuplot makes sense to
> me.  That way you can replace the plotting package without going
> through and searching for all the gset commands.
>
> For a number of gset uses, there are already some octave/octave-forge
> commands to insulate you from gnuplot.  E.g., axis to set axes and text
> to put text on the plot.  Also, you can use 'legend show' and 'legend
> hide' to control the legend.  Not everything is possible, but in those
> cases I prefer to implement a compatible interface which hides the
> details of gnuplot.

Agree. I think I had missed the point of this thread in my earlier
post; I wasn't appreciating that the issue was isolating the octave
'generic' plotting interface from the gnuplot interface, not the
elimination of the gset low-level capabilities from the interface.
Certainly that makes sense, as long as there (eventually) exist
'generic' interface functions that provide the same or nearly the
same fine- grained control available with the gnuplot commands.

Glenn