Re: unwanted multiple plots

From: Glenn Golden
Subject: Re: unwanted multiple plots
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 15:44:32 -0700

Quentin Spencer writes:
> Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
>
> > In my opinion use of 'gset' functions should be discouraged.
>
> I agree. I do occasionally use gset for low level stuff like putting
> arrows on the plot and things like that. There are some occasions where
> I also use a 'gset nokey' to turn off the key that is enabled by
> default. It occurs to me that in the competing product, you don't get a
> key unless you ask for one. If we wanted true compatibility, maybe the
> plot function should be modified to turn the key off until the user
> turns it on with the legend command from octave-forge. The presence of
> the key is especially a nuisance when plotting a very large number of
> lines: the key can cover most of the plot.

I think that gset usage depends very much on the type of work you're
doing.

For me, 90% of my plots are throwaways, for my own immediate use
only, e.g. interactively observing the progress of some experiment
or simulation. In that regime I constantly use gset commands for
things like changing the axes ranges so I can home in on some
particular area of interest in the plot, as the simulation runs.
Life would be unbearable without gset/replot/gset/replot.

For the remaining 10% of my plotting cases, where I actually want
to generate an archival result (e.g., for lab notebook, publishing,
whatever) I usually use a hardcopy-oriented package anyway (e.g.,
epstk) so I can have the degree of exact control that I want in that
situation.

Glenn