Re: saving plot images in arbitrary sizes.

From: general questions
Subject: Re: saving plot images in arbitrary sizes.
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:59:27 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks for your advice,

It seems that keeping my plots in ps format will be a
much better plan as they keep all the detail.  Now all
I need is a working script for converting them when
necessary.

cheers,
   Lee -S-

PS. Changing the gset to:
  gset terminal png large color;
only makes the fonts larger, the image remains at 640
x 480, while the graph is all squashed up by the huge
text.

As for Gnuplot, I have:
       "Version 3.7 patchlevel 3
        last modified Thu Dec 12 13:00:00 GMT 2002"

general questions wrote:
> Dear Octave users,
>
> I found a script to save plots as PNG (see below
> 'plot2png()') but this only saves as 640 x 480.  Is
> it possible to save at a higher resolution as I
> require finer detail?

> I'm using "GNU Octave, version 2.1.50
> (i686-pc-linux-gnu).".

Since it is your gnuplot that does all the dirty work
here it is more interesting which gnuplot version you
are using, which terminals it has compiled in etc,
etc...

I usually recommend (and do it myself) to save plot in
postscript format and then use all powers of
ghostscript to convert the saved file to anything (or
almost anything) else.

> cheers,
>    Lee -S-
>    UniS, UK

Sincerely,

Dmitri.

general questions wrote:

| I found a previous post which regarding GIFs instead
| of PNGs said you can have the gset command changed
to:
|   gset terminal gif small size 640,480

If you start gnuplot directly and type "help set
terminal png", it will display the options that are
accepted. In this case,

~ Syntax:
~       set terminal png {small | medium | large}
~                        {transparent | notransparent}
~                        {monochrome | gray | color}
~                        {<color0> <color1> <color2>
...}

So you probably want to try 'gset terminal png large'.

- --
Geraint Bevan
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint.bevan

BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save £80
http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk