Re: Running octave from bash script

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Running octave from bash script
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:26:24 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Ashman,Tim [PYR] wrote:

> I'm trying to run an octave script from a scheduled bash script under
> Cygwin (which is running entirely separate from my version of Octave). I
> have the GNU Octave 2.1.50 build which I downloaded from octave.sf.net.
> Can anybody help or direct me to some literature on the internet that
> addresses this topic? I want to be able to automatically run an octave
> script at the same time every day.

Under a unix/linux OS?  Read this:  (for windows, see below)

man crontab

Basically, you do this:

crontab -e

Which will open $EDITOR (which should be set to your favorite editor) and
will allow you to edit a crontab.  Suppose your script was
"/path/to/your/script" and you wanted to run it at 0 minutes after 4 pm
every day, then you'd add this line to your crontab file:

0 16 * * * /path/to/your/script

Save and close the editor and you're all set.  You can also add more to
your path to redirect output:

0 16 * * * /path/to/your/script >> outfile.txt

You can direct stderr to /dev/null, or whatever, but if you don't redirect
stdout and stderr, they will be e-mailed to you (assuming your system is
configured with your correct e-mail address).

Under Windows, there is a "scheduler" that might allow you to call your
job at a regular time, but I think you have to use Cygwin for Octave, so
you probably get crontab with Cygwin.

Mike