Re: Octave package for Cygwin

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave package for Cygwin
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:09:32 -0500

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, I wrote:

> Eventually, I would like to also have Cygwin packages for gnuplot

A gnuplot package for Cygwin is now available from ftp://ftp.octave.org.

There is also a new Octave package, but the only change is to fix some
package dependencies.  I realize now that given the way the Cygwin
package manager works, the new package was not really necessary.  I
think I should have only needed to change some lines in the setup.ini
file, but this is also a test of whether updating a package will
completely remove the old one.

Instructions for using these packages are the same:

(assuming you already have an up-to-date Cygwin installation on your
system, see www.cygwin.com for that):

  * run the Cygwin setup.exe installer

  * choose to install from the internet, and then when setup.exe asks
    you to choose a download site (a few screens after choosing to
    install from the internet), add the User URL

      ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/cygwin

  * The next screen after that should be Select Packages, and two
    Octave packages should show up in the Math category.  Select
    octave if you just want to run Octave, also select octave-headers
    if you want the header files and the mkoctfile script.

If you choose to install Octave, the dependencies should also give you
the gnuplot package.

If you try this, let me know whether you have trouble.  It worked for
me.

Thanks,

jwe