Re: Octave package for Cygwin

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave package for Cygwin
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:48:46 -0500

On 12-Jun-2003, Bob Bailey <address@hidden> wrote:

| I tried your directions to install Cygwin and Octave, but I ran into
| a problem in step 9.  I was able to successfully install Cygwin,
| but not Octave (so far)
|
| I added the User URL
| >
| >    ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/cygwin

You entered exactly the string above and clicked the "add" button next
to the text box?  Does ftp://ftp.octave.org then appear in the list of
download sites and is it highlighted?

| But, when I click on Next, Cigwin Setup returns with an error message
| Can't open /pub/octave/cygwin/setup.bz2 for reading: No such
| file or directory.
|   I click OK, then it returns with
| Can't open /pub/octave/cygwin/setup.ini for reading: No such
| file or directory.
| I click OK, and the final message is
| Unable to get setup.ini from < ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/cygwin>
|
| However I can ftp to that site and see setup.ini there.  But, I do not
| see a file called setup.bz2 there.

I don't think this matters (it works fine for me without that file).
I am doing this from outside the che.wisc.edu domain (where
ftp.octave.org is hosted).

| I am using Windows 98se.  Have plenty of disk space and a fast
| internet connection.

Hmm.  Are you behind some kind of firewall?

If ftp is the problem, then perhaps I need to make it possible to use
http as well?

jwe