Re: MATLAB/Octave increased precision

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: MATLAB/Octave increased precision
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 18:14:09 -0400

Michael Jachan wrote:

Hello!

I'd like to compute a recursion. The numerical precision of MATLAB (5.3.1 on Linux) is not accurate enough if the depth of the recursion exceeds 256. I'd like to go up to 1024.

I cannot figure out how the command DOUBLE works.

Both octave and matlab already use double internally.
Format just changes the number of digits displayed.
In octave-forge (octave.sf.net) there is a symbolic
package based on ginac which allows you to use
variable precision arithmetic.  You can specify the
number of digits you want to use.  I don't know what
the status of matrix support is for vpa values.
Otherwise you will need to use a package like maple.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden