What method does octave use to get eigenvalues?

From: Jeff Sadowski
Subject: What method does octave use to get eigenvalues?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 12:19:39 -0600 (MDT)

What part of the source code deals with eigenvalues (what file
inparticular)
I was trying to think of how I would do it and I ran into a problem
of factoring nth degree polynomials I looked back at how I was taught
to do it and found no good answers they always had us guess and factor an
item out but that method doesn't work with me. I need an algorithmic
approch. Is there a way to get eigenvalues without factoring?
please point me to the code that does eigenvalues and or a good
web page describing a method of achieving eigenvalues without factoring.