Re: octave-2.1.48: Success and thanks again

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: octave-2.1.48: Success and thanks again
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:41:00 -0500

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 10:31:57AM -0500, avrahamr wrote:
> In the wake of rebuilding my system after a hard disk crash, I decided to try
> Debian Linux. Dick Eddelbuettel's contributions to this list were one of the

s/Dick/Dirk/

> reasons. Also the fact that on Slackware I had been unble to build by myself
> some pieces of software I intended to try to use.
> It is unbelievable how long it takes to get a confortable work environement
> in
> a system only slightly different from this one was used to. But finally I am
> there. Following J.W.Eaton's advice I built and installed gcc-3.2.2 again and

Why built?  There are .deb package of gcc 3.0, 3.2 and 3.3.

> then downloaded the octave-2.48 tar ball, built and installed it. I did not
> try to find the deb package, because I wished to conserve the stable version
> as well, as a backup, just in case...

But Debian does have packages of octave2.0 and octave2.1, so no need to
recompile. Our 2.1.48-2 includes the small post-releases fixes John posted
to the list(s).

> It all went smoothly and passed all the tests, except for try-9m, try-10m,
> eval-cat??9.m and eval-cat??-10.m (I wrote it down fast and now I am unable
> read my own handwriting. If anyone can help me here, I shall file a proper
> bug
> report).

All known issues, see the list archives (way back).

Dirk

> Thank you again J.W.Eaton, Dan Hitt and Paul Kienzle for their help. This is
> not the first time, either.
> Cheers, Avraham

Don't drink and derive. Alcohol and analysis don't mix.