Re: gcc | Octave 2.1.4x | saga continues

From: Dan Hitt
Subject: Re: gcc | Octave 2.1.4x | saga continues
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:49:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi Evan and Ismail,

I have a RH 7.3 system and i had no problems either with compiling
gcc 3.2, or compiling octave 2.1.44 with gcc 3.2 (after compiling
gcc 3.2, of course).  [I did have a problem with 2.1.43, but
fellow octavian David Bateman showed me a method for fixint it.]

I suppose you (Evan) have root access to your RH 7.3 system?  I also
suppose that you have plenty of disk space (which, at $1 or $2 per
G shouldn't be too hard to get).

Then you can make a new user account, say, gcc_acct, solely for the
purpose of building gcc 3.2: you get the sources, log in as gcc_acct,
configure by a command something like [in an empty directory]
../../configure -prefix=/home/gcc_acct/tgt then build with `make
bootstrap', and install with `make install'.

Then you've got your gcc 3.2 and the c++ libraries, you haven't
touched your system, everything is very safe and clean.

Then create another new user account, say oct_acct, solely
for the purpose of building octave.  Do as before, get the
sources, log in as oct_acct, set up the PATH so that
/home/gcc_acct/tgt/bin is right at the front of it,
run, in an empty directory a configure command such as

../../src/octave-2.1.44/configure --prefix=/home/oct_acct/install  --with-g77
--enable-shared --enable-dl

then make, and make install.  (The g77 is so that you pick up
a fortran compiler which matches your gcc.)

That's what i did, it works on red hat 7.3, and requires no
root access whatsoever except to create the accounts.

dan