Re: gcc | Octave 2.1.4x | saga continues

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: gcc | Octave 2.1.4x | saga continues
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:51:03 -0700

Evan Cooch wrote:

Bogus. Lots of people, JWE included, are rather happy with Debian.

Sigh - another 'my distro is better than your distro' tangent. Who cares

Oh well, there is nothing like smell of gun (gnu?) powder in the morning...

On more serious note -- latest octave compiles out of the box
on RedHat 8.0 (which is gcc 3.2 based).
If you'd rather stick with rh7.3 you can install entire gcc toolchain
into /usr/local. There were people who build rpms of different
gcc versions for redhat, but I do not have links off the top of
my head.

Technically you can install multiple gcc on top of each other
(and they will not interfere), but that will mess up rpm database
if you are not building rpm packages first.
You can also install latest python on rh7.3 as long as it is a separate
package from the python 1.5 that RH has included (i.e. you do not
"upgrade" 1.5 to 2.2.*). RH relies on python
for system maintenance scripts and python versions 1.5 and 2.2
are different enough to break those scripts.

Regards,

Dmitri.