problem with fsolve

From: N.D.vanForeest
Subject: problem with fsolve
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:12:21 +0200

Hi,

I would like to use fsolve to solve an equation of the type f(x;a)==0,
where x is the variable that needs to be found, and a is a vector of
parameters. For instance,

function y = solve_rho(x)
  y(1) = x(1)*theta +log(1-x(1)*ksi);
endfunction

Clearly I would like to pass the values of theta and ksi to the function
solve_rho, but without declaring them as global. Does anyone know how to
do this? (As far as I understand the manual does not say anything about
this.)

I tried to pass theta and ksi as the components x(2) and x(3) and set

  y(1) = x(1)*theta +log(1-x(1)*ksi);
  y(2) = 0.;
  y(3) = 0;

but this did not help. fsolve then changes the values of y(2) and y(3).

Thanks for the help.

bye

Nicky

math department University Twente, The Netherlands