Re: Installation Problems on Yellow Dog Linux

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Installation Problems on Yellow Dog Linux
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:43:39 -0500

On 13-Aug-2001, A S Hodel <address@hidden> wrote:

| What version of octave did you try to install?  I have Octave 2.1.34 (I
| think; at home right now) running on a mac Cube with YDL 2.0.  I seem to
| recall having a problem like that with the CVS distribution, but just got
| back from vacation and so haven't tracked it down.
|
| > From: Tom Halford <address@hidden>
| > Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 20:48:11 -0700 (PDT)
| > To: address@hidden
| > Subject: Installation Problems on Yellow Dog Linux
| >
| > Hi,
| >
| > I'm having two installation problems.  I am running Yellow Dog
| > Linux v2.0 on a 2001 iBook.  Firstly, I am told that:
| >
| > configure: warning: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later
| >
| > Now, I have Readline 4.2 installed (in usr/lib I find libreadline.a, I
| > know it's 4.2 because I installed it myself which, of course, may be the
| > problem).

Octave expects to find the function rl_set_keyboard_input_timeout in
the readline library that you have.  Does your system have multiple
versions of readline installed?  If so, when configure runs, which
version is the linker finding?

| > I have tried running './configure --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr' and
| > that didn't help matters.

Those variables only affect where things will be installed.

| > In the end, I thought I'd try './configure
| > --disable-readline' and see how far I got.
| >
| > I got as far as this message:
| >
| > creating libcruft/lapack-xtra/Makefile
| > creating config.h
| > cat: ./config.h.in: No such file or directory

Did you run autoheader before running configure, or just autoconf?

Or, better, just run autogen.sh in the top-level source directory, and
it will do that for you in all the directories that need it.

jwe