Installation Problems on Yellow Dog Linux

From: Tom Halford
Subject: Installation Problems on Yellow Dog Linux
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 20:48:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm having two installation problems.  I am running Yellow Dog
Linux v2.0 on a 2001 iBook.  Firstly, I am told that:

configure: warning: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later

Now, I have Readline 4.2 installed (in usr/lib I find libreadline.a, I
know it's 4.2 because I installed it myself which, of course, may be the
problem).

I have tried running './configure --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr' and
that didn't help matters.  In the end, I thought I'd try './configure
--disable-readline' and see how far I got.

I got as far as this message:

creating libcruft/lapack-xtra/Makefile
creating config.h
cat: ./config.h.in: No such file or directory
configuring in glob
running /bin/sh ./configure  --disable-readline
--cache-file=.././config.cache --srcdir=.
./configure: ./configure: No such file or directory
configure: error: ./configure failed for glob

I am at a loss as to how to deal with these problems.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Halford,
4th Year Engineering Physics
Simon Fraser University