Re: How to speed up Octave

From: Jonathan Drews
Subject: Re: How to speed up Octave
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:56:11 -0500

Hi Mr. Laubach:

On Tuesday 19 June 2001 12:27, Laubach, Mark (Nicolelis Lab wrote:

>  Can someone please suggest how I might improve execution speeds for
> Octave, especially under Linux?

 My execution speeds for the above commands were comparable to yours. There
doesn't appear any simple way to boost Octaves computational speed. I found
that Scilab did one of the computations in 76 seconds:

timer();B=inv(A)*A;timer()
 ans  =

    76.19

 The easiest way to boost the performance of your Octave calculations is to
do all the calculations at once and minimize the Octave windows while you go
about other tasks like getting e-mail and writing reports or drawing up stuff
in Xfig. The point is: exploit the multitasking capacity of Linux and the
fact that Octave is open source to obtain maximum productivity. Octave, being
open source, has no site license. Unlike Matlab, you can run as many of them
as you wish. I ran 3 Octaves and one Scilab at the same time while having
Star Office open and getting e-mail.

Running all there at once gave:
octave:3> tic;A=rand(20,20000);B=svd(A);toc
ans = 2.9185
octave:3> tic;A=rand(2000,2000);B=prod(A);toc
ans = 10.034
octave:4> tic;A=rand(1000,1000);B=A\A;toc
ans = 52.421

So the time to completion was 52.4 sec; the limiting calculation.  I am using
a 600 MHz P III. I also think Dimitri makes a good point; the rand() has
varying computation times. So the true measure is:

octave:4> tic;A=rand(20,20000);toc
ans = 0.85655
octave:5> tic;B=svd(A);toc
ans = 1.6908