Re: How to speed up Octave

From: Dmitri A Sergatskov
Subject: Re: How to speed up Octave
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:24:41 -0600 (MDT)

On 20 Jun 2001, Trond Eivind Glomsrod wrote:

> Yes, but I made 10 runs of each (and apart from the first run of each
> function, the
> results were very similar on different runs)

I do not quite understand how did you do 10 runs. Did you run 'rand'
once and the other function 10 times, or did you run rand + function
10 times?

Even though, on my pathetic AMD K6-III:

octave:1> tic;A=rand(20,20000);toc
ans = 0.63333
octave:2> tic;B=svd(A);toc
ans = 1.1776
octave:3> tic;A=rand(2000,2000);toc
ans = 5.9938
octave:4> tic;B=prod(A);toc
ans = 0.37541
octave:5> tic;A=rand(1000,1000);toc
ans = 1.5800
octave:6> tic;B=inv(A);toc
ans = 58.933

So as you can see except the 3d test 'rand' does take a significant portion
of the time. So for 'prod' test even if ATLAS speed things up 1000 times
it will show slightly less then 50% improvement :)

Dmitri.