Improved? FAQ (Was: Philosophy help.)

From: Amie Tara Neff
Subject: Improved? FAQ (Was: Philosophy help.)
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:06:43 -0700

Easy to start a flame war around here. I thought
it was clear that I wasn't trying to complain.
Anyway, here's what I've learned;

(1) Octave is not a matlab clone.

(2) For large projects it's probably not a good idea
to have code that tries to run both in Octave
and Matlab.

(3) For the foolhardy who are doggedly determined
to do this anyway, Paul Kienzle has some software
at http://users.powernet.co.uk/kienzle/octave

To make this ironclad flameproof let me add that
all three of these points make sense after
reading John's replies.

However, I believe it would be helpful for others less
familiar with Octave internals to have this
information in the FAQ section on porting from Matlab.
I will take a stab at this myself and post the results.

Regards,
Doug
--
Dr. Douglas Eck   www.idsia.ch/Šþdoug