Cywgin-targeted octave binary distributions

From: Carlos Puig
Subject: Cywgin-targeted octave binary distributions
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:16:37 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza wrote:

> test on a second platform to be sure not to yell without verification!) maybe
> Tom Weichman could upgrade his cygwin box and kindly recompile his
> distribution. I?ll be back with my result to the list ASAP.
> Unfortunately I do not know how to create an installable tarball
> from the compile; so I cannot support what Tom Weichman supported.
> Nevertheless
> I think that we should give a hint to the cygwin maintainers (anyone in the
> mailing list of them?) with regard to this problem!

Hi Dieter,

Once you have finished an octave compilation ("make") you can generate
an octave binary distribution by:

    make -f octMakefile binary-dist

You may run into some minor bugs during this process. For example, make
complains about an invalid option "-c" -- this is a typographical error
for which "make -c" should be changed to "make -C."  Otherwise, the
process should go smoothly for you.

Alternately, I have binary distribution tarballs for octave-2.0.16 and
octave-2.1.31 ready to install and run on Cygwin 1.1.x platforms. These
have good octave.info files generated by texinfo 4.0. I can probably
also put together a separate (patched) install package for texinfo 4.0
under Cygwin 1.1.x, if you confirm that my patch solves your info-related
problems.

Carlos

PS: Be warned that the "easy Windows installer" at
http://matlinks.sourceforge.net is not suitable for people who have
Cygwin already installed.  The installer thrashes the existing cygwin mount
table.