Problem installing on Windows 95

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Problem installing on Windows 95
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:54:52 -0500 (CDT)

On 30-Aug-2000, Michael Blume <address@hidden> wrote:

| I'm trying to install Octave on Windows 95. I believe I followed the
| installation instructions corrected, but I get an error message upon
| start up:
|
| The OCTAVE.EXE file is linked to missing export CYGWIN.DLL: setpwent

You must be using an old version of the cygwin tools.  This problem
should be fixed in the newer libraries.  I'd recommend building Octave
using a newer version of the cygwin tools, but if you want to continue
with what you have, you can probably fix the problem by editing the
cygwin.dll file.  Here are the notes from the (out of date)
INSTALL.Windows file that is distributed with Octave:

     -- There is a bug in the main gnu-win32 dll that will cause
        Octave to fail.  You need to fix it by either editing the file
        (using an editor like Emacs that can handle binary files) or
        by replacing it with the file cygwin-setpwent-fixed.dll from
        ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/gnu-win32.

        To fix the problem by editing the file, open the file
        /gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/cygwin.dll and replace the
        string setpwend with setpwent.  This change needs to be made
        in three places in the same file.  Next, copy the fixed file to
        /gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/lib/cygwin.dll.

        To fix the problem by replacing the file with a version that's
        already been fixed, download the file cygwin-setpwent-fixed.dll
        from ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/gnu-win32 and
        copy it to /gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/cygwin.dll and
        /gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/lib/cygwin.dll.

(Sorry, the file cygwin-setpwent-fixed.dll is no longer available from
the Octave ftp site since it is obsolete.)

jwe