Trouble compiling Octave-2.0.16

From: Jonathan Drews
Subject: Trouble compiling Octave-2.0.16
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 05:30:22 -0500

Hi Octave Users:

 i amhaving trouble compiling Octave-2.0.16. When I do make I get the following
messages at the end of the compiliation. Yes, I did ./configure.

Array2.h:31: cassert: No such file or directory
Array2.h:32: cstdlib: No such file or directory

DiagArray2.h:31: cassert: No such file or directory
DiagArray2.h:32: cstdlib: No such file or directorys

mach-info.h:26: string: No such file or directory
In file included from dMatrix.h:35,
                 from mx-base.h:29,
                 from CColVector.cc:36:
data-conv.h:33: #error "CHAR_BIT is not 8!"

There are many of these warnings. i had no problem compiling Octave, when I had
Mandrake 7.0. Now that I have Mandrake 7.1, it won't compile in. I have
installed all the relevant libraries, However there is no libg++ in Mandrake
7.1. This is listed as an alternative to libstdc++. I have libstdc++ installed.
It looks like header files specific to Octave are missing. Any advice would be
heartily appreciated.

                                                Jonathan