Re: Uniform partition of an interval

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: Uniform partition of an interval
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:21:08 +0200

address@hidden <address@hidden>:
   | What is the MAIN reason that 1.8:0.05:1.9 produces [1.8000 1.8500]
   | and not [1.8000 1.8500 1.9000]?

"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>:
   I'd guess that the MAIN reason is that there is a bug in the way
   Octave is trying (very hard) to compute the correct number of elements
   for ranges.

Isn't this task impossible by definition?

Correct me if  I am wrong, but the three numbers  (start, end, step) all
have their precision limited by the machine's representation, so all you
can do is  an educated guess, and it is questionable  whether a guess is
the most reasonable thing to do.

--
Francesco Potortì (researcher)         Voice:    +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
Area della ricerca CNR - CNUCE         Fax:      +39 050 3138091