Re: octave+gnuplot on pc-linux console

From: Paul Ortyl
Subject: Re: octave+gnuplot on pc-linux console
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:01:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 address@hidden wrote:
> > I need to run octave on linux console (an old notebook => XWindows is too
> > big
> > for it) and still want to be able to see plots.
>
> I have similar setup (Compaq Contura 486, 25MHz) on my home
> computer and it works.
> Yes, I use svgalib (root privilages, suid etc set correctly).

OK, it works, but only when run as root (not only suid)!!!
And it is NOT a proper solution...

Gnuplot, when run alone, is capable of plotting via svgalib (because is suid
root), but it doesn't work from within octave...

> Unfortunately I did it long time ago, remember no details now.
> (I got some patch which included Linux terminal into gnuplot.)

I've got the latest version (BTW, I've used gnuplot for 3 years), so that's
not the problem.

I think the solution would be patch/option to svgalib to open graphics not on
current VC, but on first free (like X does).

Does anyone know anythig about it?

> ps: Are you shure XWindows is too big for you:
> tinyX takes only 5..10 MB diskspace.

I have X installed, but X+octave+gnuplot+xterm is too much for my 8MB RAM
(It runs old Slackware 3.6 with 2.0.36 kernel and I've tried to optimize (and
 recompile) it but possibly not well enough...)

        Paul
---
Paul Ortyl <mailto:address@hidden>
  Technical University of GdaƄsk, Telecommunications Faculty
For more information check http://from.pl/~ortylp