Re: octave+gnuplot on pc-linux console

From: robert . butora
Subject: Re: octave+gnuplot on pc-linux console
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:35:14 +0300 (EEST)

> I need to run octave on linux console (an old notebook => XWindows is too big
> for it) and still want to be able to see plots.

I have similar setup (Compaq Contura 486, 25MHz) on my home
computer and it works.
Yes, I use svgalib (root privilages, suid etc set correctly).

> Unfortunately gnuplot refuses to "set term linux" when called from octave
> (probably in "pipe mode").

Unfortunately I did it long time ago, remember no details now.
(I got some patch which included Linux terminal into gnuplot.)

If you still haven't found any better solution contact me I'll
check it out or I can fetch for you the gnuplot binary with linux
console included.

Then both octave+gnuplot run on same console:
after a plot command display switches to graphics but
keyboard events go in background to the octave interpreter.
By blind-typing 'closeplot' you turn down the graphics and
you're back on text console.

BR
Robert

ps: Are you shure XWindows is too big for you:
tinyX takes only 5..10 MB diskspace.