Re: NaN problem

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: NaN problem
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 03:12:44 -0600 (CST)

On  7-Feb-2000, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

| > What do the vendor-specific versions of the BLAS do for this code?
| > What does ATLAS do?
|
| ATLAS 3.0beta handles it correctly:
|
| octave:1> [0;0]*[ inf nan ]
| ans =
|
|            NaN           NaN
|            NaN           NaN
|
| octave:2> [ inf; nan ]*[0 0]
| ans =
|
|            NaN           NaN
|            NaN           NaN

That's nice to know.

| I don't know about the vendor BLAS libraries.

They are probably just serving up wrong answers fast.  :-)

On a Digital Unix system that I have access to, the dxml library
doesn't even seem to have been compiled to handle IEEE Inf and NaN,
though I built Octave so that it should:

  octave:3> [ inf; nan ]*[0 0]
  ans =

    0  0
    0  0

  octave:4> [0;0]*[ inf nan ]
  error: floating point exception -- trying to return to prompt

  octave:4> Inf * 0
  ans = NaN

Thanks,

jwe