Using MATLAB .m-files with Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Using MATLAB .m-files with Octave
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:30:53 -0500 (CDT)

On 18-Oct-1999, Iain Morgan <address@hidden> wrote:

| Does anyone know if there are any legal issues using the .m-files
| from the MATLAB distribution under Octave?  Does the use of such
| files infringe in any way on MathWorks's licensing?  Finally,
| does anyone have a listing of which .m-files will work under Octave?
| Ovviously, there are some .m-files from recent MATLaB releases that
| will not work under ovtave.

The matlab.lic file on the systems at the University of Wisconsin
(I believe they have Matlab 5.2) says, in part

   Except as expressly provided by this Agreement, Licensee may not alter
   or modify the Programs without the consent of TMW.  In particular,
   Licensee may not alter, adapt, translate or convert 'M-Files' contained
   in the Programs in order to use those files with any non-TMW software,
   nor may the Licensee incorporate or use 'M-Files' or any other part of
   the Programs in or as part of another computer program.

So, I am not a lawyer, nor do I speak for The MathWorks, but it seems
to be that they would say that using Octave to execute the M-files
that were distributed with Matlab is a violation of their license.

If the primary reason that you want to use M-files from Matlab with
Octave is that Octave doesn't provide the features you need, then I
believe the best long-term solution is to implement the features you
need (independently from the Matlab sources!) and contribute them to
Octave.

jwe