bug in a(a<3)?

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: bug in a(a<3)?
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 10:13:47 +0200

Hi it seems that I found something really strange.
The "pseudo-find" gives garbage. see below

octave
GNU Octave, version 2.0.14 (mips-sgi-irix6.4).
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 John W. Eaton.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details, type `warranty'.

octave:1> a=rand(3)
a =

  0.245122  0.191972  0.649127
  0.383996  0.475145  0.040683
  0.238376  0.503621  0.926899

octave:2> a(a<3)
ans =

  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512

octave:3> a(a<0.4)
ans =

  0.245122
  0.383996
  0.238376
  0.191972
  0.040683

octave:4> a(a<3)
ans =

  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512
  0.24512

For me it seems that octave makes it right for 0.4 but wrong for 3.
It doesn't look like my fault. Can anybody check that on his
octave version?

daniel