Re: come with gnuplot

From: Thomas Walter
Subject: Re: come with gnuplot
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 16:51:27 +0200

    Daniel> address@hidden wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello,
    >> I think it would be really enough if there is a note which version of
    >> gnuplot was used to implement the interface of the current octave
    >> version.
    >> Then I can do the remaining path changes myself if I want.

    Daniel> Sure. That is how it is right now.
    Daniel> You can also have a path to your local eispack
    Daniel> and to your local linpack and to your local ..

Not completely true.  The info 'it is from gnuplot-3.6beta' is too
short.  Which beta?
I know and have beta-340, beta-347, beta-348 and beta-349

    Daniel> I think that there is nearly NO ARGUMENT AGAINST gnuplot
    Daniel> coming with octave.

True, but I guess you get trouble with the copyright.  And with the
strange rule '... you may not give it away with changed code
... changes must be shipped as patches ...'

    Daniel> If you don't like it you can delete the octave-gnuplot stuff
    Daniel> and put your gnuplot path in.

This has nothing to do whether I like it or not.

[snip advantages]

For my taste a nice plotting library instead of gnuplot would be
enough.
Gnuplot is good but I only need 2D- and 3D-plotting functions on
diffent devices without a second interpreter level.
For this PLplot is nice but development has stopped.  But the GNU
plotutils (the plot-library) comes in the future I think.

Bye
Thomas

--
Platzangst:
Der dauerhafte Zustand eines Luftballons.

Dipl. Phys. Thomas Walter
Inst. f. Physiklische Chemie II
Egerlandstr. 3                          Tel.: ++9131-85 27326 / 27330
91058 Erlangen, Germany                 email: address@hidden