Re: execution speed in *oct files

From: David Doolin
Subject: Re: execution speed in *oct files
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 22:49:21 -0400

[]

>Another area is the BLAS. Octave seems to use the generic
>fortran BLAS rather than one optimized for any architecture.
>(I remember taking a look at BLAS functionality when I was
>putting together the sparse functions for octave ) There seems
>to be no open source optimized BLAS available, and this
>difference must be responsible for much of the Matlab/octave
>speed difference.

The BLAS fortran source is not recommended for
actual numerical use.  It is simply a reference source.
Actual implementation of BLAS is _supposed_ to be
hardware dependent.

Intel distributes an optimized BLAS for use with x68.
It is distributed gratis, but is not freely redistributable
(as of 8 months ago).

Anyone with a serious interest and the assembler skills to
write a GPL optimized BLAS should contact netlib and see
what, if any, such projects are ongoing.  Stuff at netlib
doesn't usually surface until a conference paper appears.

This is NOT something jwe should be expected to handle.

--dave d