Re: execution speed in *oct files

From: Michael Hanke
Subject: Re: execution speed in *oct files
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:01:02 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On  8-Jun-1999, Eduardo Gallestey <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> | -fno-strength-reduce
> |
> | For example, which is its role, does it belong to the c++ libraries or
> | just to the "mkoctfile", which is its default value, ...?
>
> This option inhibits the strength reduction and elimination of loop
> iteration variables that is normally done by gcc with -O.  Strength
> reduction replaces expensive operations by equivalent by cheaper
> ones.
I am not very experienced with gcc compiler issues. I am merely using
compilers. So my question may be stupid. I had some rumour that
certain gcc versions for some hardware platforms may generate buggy
code if this switch is *not* used. So I am using it everytimes with a
possible loss of performance. So my question is: In which
gcc/egcs/pgcc versions is strength-reduce safe?

Thanks a lot.

Michael
|  Michael Hanke                Royal Institute of Technology   |
|                               NADA                            |
|                               S-10044 Stockholm               |
|                               Sweden                          |
|  Visiting address:            Lindstedtsvaegen 3              |
|  Phone:                       + (46) (8) 790 6278             |
|  Fax:                         + (46) (8) 790 0930             |
|  Email:                       address@hidden               |
|                               address@hidden       |