Re: contour AND plot(,,'o')

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: contour AND plot(,,'o')
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:25:03 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 23-Mar-1999, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | How can I make a contour plot, hold it and the do a 'o' line plot?
> |
> | The following doesn't work. All I tried returned crap.
>
> You want to superimpose a 2d plot and a contour plot, right?
> Unfortunately, I don't think gnuplot can do this.  I think the reason
> is that gnuplot does contouring as a special case of 3d plotting, and
> there is no way to get gnuplot to do 2d and 3d plotting at the same
> time.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, or ask the gnuplot people if it
> is correct, or if there will ever be a way to do what you want.

What happens if you do each 2Dplot as a 3D plot wiht z=0 (That is what
matlab does. ;-)) and rotate the plot that z-axis comes out of the
screen.
Does gnuplot put some ugly labelling on it?

I am working on some optimization stuff. Maybe I get something someday
finished
in a way that it can be used by others. Currently I am on a tight
time budget (probably like most others) but if I have something useful
I will post it.

> I agree that gnuplot is not perfect.  Unless you are willing to
> provide code or funding to make things better, I don't think there is
> any need to complain about it again.

Well I didn't complain (that wouldn't be ok). I only asked for a way to
do it.

Is there a sort of bank account I could put some money on ($50,-) for
octave.
I know that is not the world, but many $50 makes a bigger $.
I am working on some optimization stuff.

daniel