Re: speeding up Octave development

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: speeding up Octave development
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 17:04:46 -0600 (CST)

On  5-Mar-1999, John Logsdon <address@hidden> wrote:

| I behoves us all (and I am a fairly occasional user of Octave) to minimise
| the load on JWE firstly by not having recourse to the list for some of the
| smallest problems (gnuplot symbols seem to be irksome and come around
| frequently).  Perhaps JWE should contain himself to the development list
| and leave the answers to gnuplot problems to someone else, for example?  I
| know that may prove difficult!

I would be glad to not feel like I have to answer questions about
gnuplot on the help-octave list.  But for that to happen, I have to
see that someone is answering these questions publicly.  If people
just send responses to the person who asked the question, and that
person never sends a summary to the list, then I generally assume that
the question went unanswered.  And the answer doesn't show up in the
archives, so people who might want to search for an answer before
asking the list can't find anything.  So the same questions are asked
again and again.  That's why I generally try to answer things that
haven't been answered on the list, and to CC my replies to the list.
If more people started answering the easy questions publicly, I would
probably decide that I no longer needed to.

This also brings up the question of maintaining the FAQ.  I think
there's a lot of information in the mailing list archives that could
go in the FAQ, but I simply don't have time to extract it and format
it.  Would someone like to volunteer to work on that project?

Thanks,

jwe