Re: licenses and law

From: Jorge C. Lucero
Subject: Re: licenses and law
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:11:03 -0200 (EDT)

> In conclusion I would read The Mathworks license agreement. If the
> license
> doesn't say that you are not allowed to use/modify their toolbox with a
> different software, you are in luck. But, of course you won't be able
> to share it with others.

Hi:

I have just read the License of a Student edition of Matlab 5. In the
middle of it, it says

"...In particular, Licensee may not alter, adapt, translate or convert
"M-Files" contained in the Programs in order to use those files with any
non-Developer software, nor may the Licensee incorporate or use "M-Files"
or any other part of the Programs in or as part of another computer
program."

Anyway, do such restrictions have legal validity?

Jorge

Jorge C. Lucero, Ph.D.
Departamento de Matematica
Universidade de Brasilia