licenses and law

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: licenses and law
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 03:02:36 -0600 (CST)

On 22-Jan-1999, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:

| > I think not.  I would bet that the copyright and/or license severely
| > restricts what you can do with it.
|
| Well I am not sure if that works (legally). I am not a legal (?) expert.
| I think you cannot restrict the usage of something you sell.

Commercial shrink-wrap licenses that I have seen included clauses that
restrict you from using the software on more than one computer at a
time, limit you to one backup copy, etc.  In that sense, they limit
your use of the software.

Copyright law allows you to limit who can make copies (or derivative
works).

jwe