Re: licenses and law

From: Karim Elaagouby
Subject: Re: licenses and law
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:15:46 -0800

Interesting topic indeed. Lately, I have been working on this kind of
the issues
for the company I work for. Here's a summary of infos I gathered from
lawyers.

Copyright (c): is automatically owned by the author (Company,
institution of
person). Obtaining a government Copyright in a given country is merely a
recognition of ownership in that country, and serves only in legal suit.

License agreement: is the contract between the owner of the copyright
and
the buyer (whether money is involved or not). GPL is unique in its kind,
since it shares all copyrights with new owners.

In conclusion I would read The Mathworks license agreement. If the
license
doesn't say that you are not allowed to use/modify their toolbox with a
different software, you are in luck. But, of course you won't be able
to share it with others.

If you rewrite code from scratch (as JWE suggested) to do the same thing
that other applications do, then, unless the idea is patented there's no
problem
with doing that.

Hope this helps.

--