Re: Memory limits

From: Al Goldstein
Subject: Re: Memory limits
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 23:48:39 -0800 (PST)

Here is a different memory complaint.

I want the QR decomposition of an mxn matrix as given by dgeqrf in
lapack. As an example using dgeqrf in a fortran code I can solve
a problem with m=850,000 and n=5. With octave I'm limited to m=2000 before
memory runs out (64meg). One problem here is that Q is returned in octave
as an mxm matrix rather than an mxn matrix. Matlab does this also. But the
function orth does no better in octave. Orth returns mxn and still chokes at
m=2000, Matlab does not choke. For QR a hook is needed so that one can specify
the return of an mxn matrix.