Re: benchmark for octave 2.0.5

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: benchmark for octave 2.0.5
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 97 12:01 MET

"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:

   If we need to have a reference machine, I think it would be best to
   use something that is more widely available (sorry Rick).
   Something like a Pentium NNN running Linux (I vote for NNN == 133,
   since that's what I happen to have, but maybe it would be better to
   use something a bit faster).

The problem with Intel's machines is that they are not standard, but
differ, even a lot, because of the bus architecture, cache, memory
speed and so on.  For example, the benchmark (octave 1.1.1) results
list 2.0 as the performance for a Pentium 133, but I just obtained 2.5
on a recent Pentium 133.

Sun machines are much less available, but they always have the same
architecture, given the model number.  My hope is that availability
will not be an issue, as long as we are on the Internet.

However the problem exists.  Opinions?

   Also, how about keeping the results obtained with older versions of
   Octave (at least for runs on the reference machine) so that we can
   easily see if Octave is getting faster or slower as it gets older.

Sure.

--
Francesco Potorti` (researcher)        Voice:    +39-50-593203
Computer Network Division              Operator: +39-50-593211