Re: octave memory allocation problem ?

From: Vinayak Dutt
Subject: Re: octave memory allocation problem ?
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 95 15:25:42 CDT

John Eaton wrote:
#Joao Cardoso <address@hidden> wrote:
#
#: In Matlab, the "load" returns the data contained in the file, and I
#: only need to do
#:
#: data =  load -ascii file_name;
#:
#: Of course, in Octave, with multi-variable data files, this is not possible,
#
#I had no idea that this was the way load worked in Matlab.  Perhaps
#Octave's load command could be modified to do something like
#

i just checked local copy of matlab (for unix: v 4.2c) and i don't see the above
behaviour in it. in fact it gives me error for anything like a = load file ....

also, if the file is a simple ascii text file, one does not have to specify
-ascii
as it can detect that by itself. "load file_name" will load the contents of
"file_name"
into a variable named "file_name" minus the file name extension.

#  # load the first three values from the file in the variables x, y,
#  # and z.
#
#  [x, y, z] = load foo
#
#With no output arguments, the behavior would remain the same as before.
#
#Does anyone see any problems with this change?
#

i don't have any problems. seems to be useful also. but i think this behaviour
is not there in all matlab versions (at least not the ones that we have
locally).

--vinayak-
/*
 * vinayak dutt