Re: octave memory allocation problem ?

From: John Eaton
Subject: Re: octave memory allocation problem ?
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 95 14:54:49 EDT

Joao Cardoso <address@hidden> wrote:

: Hi,
:
: I also notice that problem with "load -ascii". Even if "clear -x" is
: used, not all memory is released.  In my case it is critical, as
: each data file has 3500x120 real valued data, and I need to have
: several data files loaded. At each sucessive load/clear I loose
: some Mega of memory and swapping starts...

This doesn't seem to happen with my current sources, or with my
copy of 1.1.1.

Perhaps you are actually seeing a memory leak that is
unrelated to the load and save commands.  If so, you might be
interested in the patches that I just posted to bug-octave.  You can
get a copy of that message from the mailing list archives on
ftp.che.utexas.edu in the directory /pub/octave/MAILING-LISTS.

It is also possible that the memory that Octave is using is due to the
buffer used to hold output before sending it to the pager (I wish I
could simply start sending output to the pager as soon as I had about
1 page full, but I have not found a way to do that yet with less).  If
so, you can either eliminate the output, cause it to be flushed more
often (use fflush), or bypass the pager entirely (set the variable
page_screen_output to "true").

Thanks,

jwe