Re: GMAKE 3.81 vs GMAKE 4.2

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: GMAKE 3.81 vs GMAKE 4.2
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 12:53:42 -0400

On Thu, 2022-05-05 at 21:41 +0530, nikhil jain wrote:
> Correct, but how do i know its a incremental or full ? any ENV is set
> which says it is incremental or full ?

There's no possible way to know.

No make invocation will ever build every target in the makefile in any
real-world makefile (consider targets like "clean", "test", "install",
etc.)

If you want to restrict it to say "is every prerequisite of target A
that I could possibly build, rebuilt?  Or was one or more already up to
date?" that would be possible to know, but only AFTER the entire build
has completed obviously.  So, an environment variable is useless: it
couldn't be set until make was just about to exit and once it exits of
course all its environment variables are gone.

Currently as far as I'm aware there's nothing in GNU make that tracks
this information, so it's not even possible to print that information
out.  That tracking would have to be added.