Re: Cross compiling without ./configure

From: Galen Seitz
Subject: Re: Cross compiling without ./configure
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:17:09 -0700

mahmoodn wrote:
Still I don't understand....:confused: I have gcc and g++ installed in my
ubuntu (host machine). I have used them for my regular compilations in the
host machine.

The compiler on your ubuntu system generates x86 code for a Linux environment. To compile your program for a Solaris sparc target, you need a compiler that generates sparc code for a Solaris environment. The standard gcc on your Ubuntu system cannot generate sparc code. If your Solaris system does not have a compiler, and you cannot install one, you will need a compiler that runs on your Ubuntu x86 system, but generates sparc code for Solaris. This is what is called a 'cross compiler'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_compiler

You might get lucky and find that someone has built debian packages that have what you need, but I would be surprised. Note that building a cross toolchain(compiler, linker, etc.) is a non-trivial exercise. I suspect that installing a compiler on the Solaris system will be the easiest solution.

--
Galen Seitz
address@hidden